Finding the right formula to treat a skin with acne is a continuing struggle that can last for years. This is because what works in one case does not necessarily work in another.
Tackling skin problems has helped to establish basic principles and care rules. On the other hand, the appearance in the market of such a plethora of products, culminates in most of them having irritating ingredients that over time can do more harm than good; sometimes even aggravating most skin conditions. So, how can we choose from the multitude of tips, products and recommendations and find the ones that fit our needs? Simple: When we understand how the skin works, we understand what needs it has, we listen to it and so we know how to care for it.
Listening to your skin is the most important step towards a proper care.
Most of the time, acne prone skin is not only seborrheic but also sensitive or even dry. The last thing we want to do is apply nutritious and moisturizing products. Why? Because in the rush of escape from the unsightly pimples and the post-acne signs, it has been (erroneously) induced over time that the solution is to apply astringent products and while removing nutritional products and oils from our skin care routine. Nothing could be further from the truth. Acne skin has the same need for hydration as dry skin. Thus, using aggressive products we do nothing more than destroy the hydro-lipid film of the skin, responsible for the balance, freshness and health of our skin.
What happens when we break this balance?
The dryer the skin is, the more it produces sebum to protect itself and it becomes more sensitive and the eruptions will worsen. Because of moisture deprivation and aggressive ingredients in various treartments, it will eventually become dry, resulting in unsightly desquamation and the premature appearance of wrinkles. If we want to protect and care for the skin the right way, while dealing with the underlying problem – acne, we need to create a simple routine with quality products and non-invasive procedures, appropriate to the current skin needs, to be respected because any negligence or exaggeration can prevent even the most effective treatment from having any results.
When more is too much.
You don’t have to fall prey to countless products, treatments and procedures, and you should not apply all the products at once. On one hand, because excess may damage the skin, and also you will not know what works and what does not. But most importantly, most products and procedures sensitize, irritate and develop intolerance. Allow time for products and procedures to do their job. Nothing good happens overnight and under no circumstances will skin problems disappear from one day to the next, regardless of the promises of labels, slogans and advertisements. There are a few steps through which any skin has to go through to become beautiful and healthy, if the treatment is right. In the first phase, everything comes to the surface, then the pimples begin to dry up and the skin passes through a period of regeneration that has the effect of easily decaying, the pimples and marks disappear and the skin begins to be radiant and uniform.
AVRA Aestethic Institute specialists recommend the following steps for acne prone skin care:
- Cleansing the skin in the evening, before bedtime, is a must! Nothing is more erroneous than going to bed with your skin loaded with products, sebum and dust, whether you wear make-up or not. Not only does this clog the pores, favors the appearance of the pimples and maintains a bacterial environment favorable to acne, but it also prematurely ages the skin. For acne prone skin, you need to choose a delicate cleansing product without alcohol, preferably without irritating ingredients and no perfume. A good example is FACIAL WASH OILY / PROBLEM cleansing gel from PCA Skin. It contains gluconolactone, lactic acid and aloe and it deeply cleanses and protects the skin.
- Applying a Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Serum after cleansing is mandatory, because the problematic skin also needs a great deal of hydration. The lack of hydration is proven to be along with exposure to the sun, the main cause of premature aging of the skin. The serum should be chosen carefully, preferably an oil-free formula and as simple as possible, but with quality, clean ingredients and no perfume or other irritating ingredients. Our choice is HYDRATING SERUM from PCA Skin because it has a delicate skin formula, along with Hyaluronic Acid and Niacinamide, which protects and supports the optimal level of hydration in depth.
- For a clean skin without imperfections, creams with 0.5% Retinol and the new generation chemical peelings are the best solution. However, both chemical peeling sessions as well as the application of Retinol at home are done only during autumn and winter because they are photo-sensitizing and entail the risk of hyper-pigmentation or even mild burns.
- Apply Retinol creams only in the evening, on clean and dry skin. Avoid the eye area, nasal grooves and mouth corners. Preferably, after applying Retinol, do not apply other products. PCA Skin specialists have developed a stable formula of Retinol, specifically dedicated to problematic skin with prolonged action – INTENSIVE CLARITY TREATMENT: O.5% PURE RETINOL NIGHT.
- Applying a cream with SPF 50 is mandatory during the day, even if you use photo-sensitizing products or not. UV rays are one of the main causes of premature aging, degradation and hyperpigmentation of the skin. SPF creams with zinc oxide should be avoided because they leave a whitish filter, are clogging the pores and favoring the appearance of the pimples. Preferably use a smooth texture cream that gently enters the skin and is a good base for makeup, like the PCA Skin – WEIGHTLESS PROTECTION BROAD SPECTRUM SPF 45
- It is important that during the treatment with the active ingredients that dry out the skin, to use a nutritive cream that nourishes the skin in depth and protects its elasticity. Our recommendation is REBALANCE cream from PCA Skin, which soothes and supplies the antioxidants and vitamins needed for a young, healthy skin.
- Make sure that other care products and make-ups are not comedogenic and do not pinch pores because they prevent the effectiveness of the treatment.
- Make-up tools (brushes, sponges, etc.) should be cleaned and disinfected at least once a week and kept away from dust because these are some of the most common sources of rash, eruptions and acne.
- The pillow side needs to be changed every few days and never put the unclean face on the pillow because it loads sebum and products and can cause pimples and inflammation.
- Use a special cotton towel for face only, that you do not use on your body or to wipe your hands. Skin with acne tendencies needs special care compared to other types of skin, but if you take into account the tips above, you will soon find that the effort is worth it.